Monday, August 30, 2010

What is love?

Wow, I was in my pop culture English class and was not that shocked to hear everyone's interpretation of the word. One of my favorite definitions was "friendship." I think that love is one of those things that has its own special meaning for each person. I was reading Steven Covey's book "7 Habits of Highly Effective People" and came across an interesting comment on the topic of love. Covey has counseled many couples that complain that they have lost their love for the other person. The feeling was simply not there. His response was, "love her." He continues on by saying that love is a verb. "Love--the feeling-- is a fruit of love, the verb. So love her. Serve her. Sacrifice. Listen to her. Empathize. Appreciate. Affirm her." In the chapter in which he discusses this topic he is defining two kinds of people: the reactive person, who responds to the situation through feeling, and the proactive person, who plans ahead of time to prevent it from happening. He explains the proactive people make love a verb. That love is something you do: the sacrifice you make and the giving of self. When we need to learn how to love, we should look to those who sacrifice the most for us. The fact that for most love is a feeling but for others love is an action. It is something that you actively work on every day. For me, love changes depending on what is receiving my love. Like the love I have for Disney movies is way different than the love I have for my fiance or my family. I would sacrifice more for my family than I would for the material things. There are many different interpretation to love but I invite anyone who wants to throw out their ideas. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment